These gluten-free fudge brownies are super indulgent, yet still free from refined sugar, wheat, gluten, and dairy. They will remind you of your favorite boxed brownie mix, and they’re just about as easy to make!
These brownies are a bit higher in calories (*although still much healthier than traditional brownies and perfect for a treat) than the recipes found in my eBook, The Healthy Brownie Cookbook. The brownie recipes in the book are very low in calories, high protein, low sugar, while still managing to have rich flavor and super fudgy texture. Check out the eBooks here for more information!
Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownies
Serves: 16 – 185 calories 13g F / 17g C / 2g P (7g sugar)
- 3/4 cup rice flour (120g)
- 1/4 cup starch (arrowroot, tapioca, potato, or corn starch) (32g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (40g) (dutch-process or Hershey’s Special Dark is recommended)
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar, or granulated sweetener of choice (120g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted (168g) (you can also use ghee or butter)
- 2 eggs*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips** (120g) (chocolate recommendation below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add melted coconut oil, and stir until distributed throughout dry ingredients.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Line an 8×8 inch square glass pan with parchment paper, and spread batter evenly into pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Tip: hover cursor over the photo, or tap photo on mobile to pin this recipe to Pinterest!
*vegan option: try using 2 flax eggs (mix 1 T ground flax + 3 T warm water for each egg called for and let it sit for a few minutes to thicken – in this case it would be 2 T flax + 6 T water)
**for a refined sugar-free, dairy-free chocolate chip option, use 1 chopped up Eating Evolved 72% or cashew milk chocolate bar. Use code SARAH for an extra free chocolate bar with any order.
Post a photo on Instagram and use #baketobefit if you try this recipe!